20 percentile rule might be modified for IIT JEE Entrance by government

Spread the love

Even though the new change on the JEE 20 percentile marks might affect the criteria for JEE Advanced, government is trying to work on the IIT admission norms for the coming sessions. For the first time, it has acknowledged that there are inherent flaws in the process of selection.

IIT JEE Entrance

Vineet Joshi, CBSE Chairman :“The basis of the argument is that the student needs to be good at all levels and school boards need to be recognized and get weightage in the selection procedures at IITs.”

Currently for the 2013 JEE, the eligibility included that the student has to be in the top 20 percentile of the students in the 12th class Board exams but now it might be tweaked as per two government officials involved in the process but who refused to be named or identified. There are several legal cases file din the court against the innovative 20 percentile criterion that was introduced for the first time this year. As per the officials dealing with the JEE changes, said that the government is mulling over proposing a criteria of minimum 75% in the 12th class board examinations. If the change is implemented, it is going to be advantageous to the students of Kerala and Andhra Pradesh and the rest of the schools affiliated with CBSE.
As per one of the officials, on 14th August the HRD ministry did do a preliminary system review in a meeting with the CBSE and IIT officials and has asked the IITs to discuss in the Joint Admission Committee which usually takes the decisions. But the 75% in 12th class is not fixed and can be 80% or more depending upon the outcome of the talks.
Promod Maheshwari, MD of Career Point said: “Percentile is vague and students need to know the minimum percentage or marks that they need to sit for the exam. So whether it is 75% or 80%, at least the confusion will end for them. If the IITs return to the minimum marks criterion, from the students point of view, it would be the right move.”
The officials were of the view that though 20 percentile can be adhered by the UP and Bihar Board which is considered low scoring, most of the other boards might prefer the 75% or 80% marks in 12th class as the eligibility criteria. This year students with 91% in Andhra Board could not manage to sit for the JEE Advanced due to the 20 percentile marks system.
The two-tier common entrance test for JEE has been made compulsory to take admission into any of the private or government funded colleges, since last year. The initial qualifying exam is the JEE Mains and the exam designed specifically to get a seat in IITs is JEE Advanced.
For the JEE Main, the weightage of 40% is given to the 12th class marks and the rest 60% is on the entrance test results. Only the top 1, 50, 000 students clearing the JE Main are eligible to sit for the JEE Advance, the gateway to the Indian School of Mines, 15 IITs and JEE Dhanbad. But to be selected for admission, each of the students has to be in the top 20 percentile of their respective school boards.
The confusion ensured when the results were declared in June this year when many students clearing both the JEE Main and Advance were not in the top 20 percentile of the boards and thus, could not get admission to the coveted IITs. With the result, students from Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat among other states filed cases in the high courts and Supreme Court. Although admissions were not stopped, the final admission will depend upon the court’s verdict, which is still pending.

Vineet Joshi, CBSE Chairman was of the view that as the mater is sub-judicial, he would not comment upon it but was of the opinion that any process can be enhanced and improved. While another government official said: “The basis of the argument is that the student needs to be good at all levels and school boards need to be recognized and get weightage in the selection procedures at IITs.”

Amrita Verma

I am a MBA Graduate, Creative thinker, blogger . Guiding student preparing for JEE for over 5 years. Have worked in Bansal Classess Kota from 2008 to 2013. In these 5 years I have understood much about What JEE is and What it takes to be an IITian. You can follow me on Google

You may also like...

Leave a Reply