List books in Physics for JEE & other engineering entrance exams
There are a number of books in Physics for covering theory and problems. A rigorous (but not fully exhaustive) list of the books popular amongst students are
For theory:Fundamentals of Physics - Resnick & Halliday
For problem solving
- University Physics - Seers & Zeemansky
- Fundamentals of Physics - B. N. Ivanov
- Fundamental Laws of Mechanics & Fundamental Laws of Electromagnetism - I. E. Irodov
- Concepts of Physics - H. C. Verma
- Understanding Physics for JEE Mains & Advanced - D. C. Pandey (Arihant, set of 5 books)
- Physics for Joint Entrance Exam JEE Advanced - B. M. Sharma (Cengage, Set of 6 books)
- Physics for JEE - Anurag Mishra (Balaji, Set of 5 books)
- kaysons education Video Notes
:Problems in General Physics - I. E. Irodov
- Aptitude Test Problems in Physics - Krotov
- Past JEE papers - Disha Publications
- 3000 Challenger Problems - Disha Publications
- Advanced Problems in Physics - Anurag Mishra (Balaji Publications)
JEE Physics syllabus 2022, 2023, 2024
PHYSICS AND MEASUREMENT ( Weightage 4%)
- Physics, technology and society, S I Units, fundamental and derived units, least count
- Accuracy and precision of measuring instruments, Errors in measurement
- Dimensions of Physics quantities, dimensional analysis and its applications.
KINEMATICS ( Weightage 3%)
- The frame of reference, motion in a straight line, Position- time graph, speed and velocity; Uniform and non-uniform motion, average speed and instantaneous velocity, uniformly accelerated motion, velocity-time, position-time graph, relations for uniformly accelerated motion
- Scalars and Vectors, Vector. Addition and subtraction, zero vector, scalar and vector products, Unit Vector, Resolution of a Vector.
- Relative Velocity, Motion in a plane
- Projectile Motion
- Uniform Circular Motion.
LAWS OF MOTION ( Weightage 3%)
- Force and inertia, Newton’s First law of motion, Momentum, Newton’s Second Law of motion, Impulses; Newton’s Third Law of motion.
- Law of conservation of linear momentum and its applications.
- Equilibrium of concurrent forces.
- Static and Kinetic friction, laws of friction, rolling friction.
- Dynamics of uniform circular motion, centripetal force and its applications.
WORK, ENERGY AND POWER ( Weightage 3%)
- Work done by a content force and a variable force;
- Kinetic and potential energies
- Work-energy theorem
- The potential energy of spring
- Conservation of mechanical energy, conservative and neoconservative forces;
- Elastic and inelastic collisions in one and two dimensions.
ROTATIONAL MOTION ( Weightage 3%)
- Centre of the mass of a two-particle system, Centre of the mass of a rigid body;
- Basic concepts of rotational motion; a moment of a force; torque, angular momentum, conservation of angular momentum and its applications; the moment of inertia, the radius of gyration.
- Values of moments of inertia for simple geometrical objects, parallel and perpendicular axes theorems and their applications.
- Rigid body rotation equations of rotational motion.
GRAVITATION ( Weightage 2%)
- The universal law of gravitation.
- Acceleration due to gravity and its variation with altitude and depth.
- Kepler’s law of planetary motion.
- Gravitational potential energy; gravitational potential.
- Escape velocity, Orbital velocity of a satellite.
- Geostationary satellites.
OSCILLATIONS AND WAVES ( Weightage 3%)
- Periodic motion - period, frequency, displacement as a function of time.
- Periodic functions.
- Simple harmonic motion (S.H.M.) and its equation; phase: oscillations of a spring -restoring force and force constant: energy in S.H.M. - Kinetic and potential energies
- Simple pendulum - derivation of expression for its time period: Free, forced and damped oscillations, resonance.
- Wave motion.
- Longitudinal and transverse waves, speed of a wave.
- Displacement relation for a progressive wave.
- Principle of superposition of waves, a reflection of waves.
- Standing waves in strings and organ pipes, fundamental mode and harmonics.
- Doppler Effect in sound
PROPERTIES OF SOLIDS AND LIQUIDS ( Weightage 5%)
- Elastic behaviour, Stress-strain relationship, Hooke's Law.
- Young's modulus, bulk modulus, modulus of rigidity.
- Pressure due to a fluid column; Pascal's law and its applications.
- Stokes' law.
- Terminal velocity, streamline and turbulent flow.
- Reynolds number.
- Bernoulli's principle and its applications.
- Surface energy and surface tension, angle of contact, application of surface tension -drops, bubbles and capillary rise.
- Heat, temperature, thermal expansion; specific heat capacity, calorimetry; change of state, latent heat.
- Heat transfer-conduction, convection and radiation.
- Newton's law of cooling.
THERMODYNAMICS ( Weightage 9%)
- Thermal equilibrium, zeroth law of thermodynamics, the concept of temperature.
- Heat, work and internal energy.
- The first law of thermodynamics.
- The second law of thermodynamics: reversible and irreversible processes.
- Carnot engine and its efficiency.
KINETIC THEORY OF GASES ( Weightage 5%)
- Equation of state of a perfect gas, work done on compressing a gas
- Kinetic theory of gases - assumptions, the concept of pressure.
- Kinetic energy and temperature: RMS speed of gas molecules: Degrees of freedom.
- Law of equipartition of energy, applications to specific heat capacities of gases; Mean free path.
- Avogadro's number.
ELECTROSTATICS ( Weightage 9%)
- Electric charges: Conservation of charge.
- Coulomb's law-forces between two point charges, forces between multiple charges: superposition principle and continuous charge distribution.
- Electric field: Electric field due to a point charge, Electric field lines.
- Electric dipole, Electric field due to a dipole.
- Torque on a dipole in a uniform electric field.
- Electric flux.
- Gauss's law and its applications to find field due to infinitely long uniformly charged straight wire, uniformly charged infinite plane sheet and uniformly charged thin spherical shell.
- Electric potential and its calculation for a point charge, electric dipole and system of charges
- Equipotential surfaces, Electrical potential energy of a system of two point charges in an electrostatic field.
- Conductors and insulators. Dielectrics and electric polarization, capacitor, the combination of capacitors in series and parallel, capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor with and without dielectric medium between the plates.
- Energy stored in a capacitor.
CURRENT ELECTRICITY ( Weightage 8%)
- Electric current.
- Drift velocity.
- Ohm's law.
- Electrical resistance. Resistances of different materials.
- V-l characteristics of Ohmic and non-ohmic conductors.
- Electrical energy and power.
- Electrical resistivity. Colour code for resistors; Series and parallel combinations of resistors; Temperature dependence of resistance. Electric Cell and its Internal resistance
- Potential difference and emf of a cell, a combination of cells in series and parallel.
- Kirchhoff’s laws and their applications.
- Wheatstone bridge. Metre Bridge.
- Potentiometer - principle and its applications.
MAGNETIC EFFECTS OF CURRENT AND MAGNETISM ( Weightage 5%)
- Biot - Savart law and its application to current carrying circular loop.
- Ampere's law and its applications to infinitely long current carrying straight wire and solenoid.
- Force on a moving charge in uniform magnetic and electric fields.
- Force on a current-carrying conductor in a uniform magnetic field.
- The force between two parallel current carrying conductors
- Torque experienced by a current loop in a uniform magnetic field: Moving coil galvanometer, its current sensitivity and conversion to ammeter and voltmeter.
- Current loop as a magnetic dipole and its magnetic dipole moment.
- Bar magnet as an equivalent solenoid, magnetic field lines
- Earth's magnetic field and magnetic elements.
- Para-, dia- and ferromagnetic substances. Magnetic susceptibility and permeability.
- Electromagnets and permanent magnets.
ELECTROMAGNETIC INDUCTION AND ALTERNATING CURRENTS ( Weightage 3%)
- Electromagnetic induction: Faraday's law.
- Induced emf and current: Lenz’s Law
- Eddy currents. Self and mutual inductance.
- Alternating currents, peak and RMS value of alternating current/ voltage: reactance and impedance: LCR series circuit, resonance: Quality factor, power in AC circuits, wattless current.
- AC generator and transformer.
RAY OPTICS ( Weightage 6%)
- Reflection and refraction of light at plane and spherical surfaces, mirror formula.
- Total internal reflection and its applications.
- Deviation and Dispersion of light by a prism; Lens Formula.
- Magnification. Power of a Lens.
- Combination of thin lenses in contact.
- Microscope and Astronomical Telescope (reflecting and refracting) and their magnifying powers.
WAVE OPTICS ( Weightage 4%)
- Wave front and Huygens' Principle.
- Laws of reflection and refraction using Huygens principle.
- Young's double-slit experiment and expression for fringe width, coherent sources and sustained interference of light.
- Diffraction due to a single slit, width of central maximum.
- Resolving power of microscopes and astronomical telescopes.
- Polarization, plane-polarized light: Brewster's law, uses of plane-polarized light and Polaroid.
DUAL NATURE OF MATTER AND RADIATION ( Weightage 6%)
- Dual nature of radiation.
- Photoelectric effect.
- Hertz and Lenard's observations; Einstein's photoelectric equation: particle nature of light.
- Matter waves-wave nature of particle, de Broglie relation.
- Davisson-Germer experiment.
ATOMS AND NUCLEI ( Weightage 3%)
- Alpha-particle scattering experiment; Rutherford's model of atom; Bohr model, energy levels, hydrogen spectrum.
- Composition and size of nucleus, atomic masses, isotopes, isobars: isotones.
- Radioactivity- alpha. beta and gamma particles/rays and their properties; radioactive decay law.
- Mass-energy relation, mass defect; binding energy per nucleon and its variation with mass number, nuclear fission and fusion.
ELECTRONIC DEVICES ( Weightage 3%)
- Semiconductors; semiconductor diode: 1-V characteristics in forward and reverse bias; diode as a rectifier; I-V characteristics of LED.
- The photodiode, solar cell and Zener diode; Zener diode as a voltage regulator.
- Junction transistor, transistor action, characteristics of a transistor: transistor as an amplifier (common emitter configuration) and oscillator.
- Logic gates (OR. AND. NOT. NAND and NOR)
- Transistor as a switch.
ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES ( Weightage 5%)
- Electromagnetic waves and their characteristics
- Transverse nature of electromagnetic waves
- Electromagnetic spectrum (radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible, ultraviolet. X-rays. Gamma rays)
- Applications of e.m. waves
COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS ( Weightage 5%)
- Propagation of electromagnetic waves in the atmosphere; Sky and space wave propagation.
- Need for modulation.
- Amplitude and Frequency Modulation, Bandwidth of signals.
- The bandwidth of Transmission medium, Basic Elements of a Communication System (Block Diagram only).